The following were overheard at one such get-together, I kid you not ( someone I know was at the receiving end). Reasons what a KANYA, ahem girl, is expected to be when she crosses the catastrophic age of 22.
- That you are a girl, now a woman. You have to be married. Becuase ‘log kya kahengey?’
- That you are old enough to earn in five figures and still haven’t made a headway on the career front. ‘Ghar pe hi baithi hain’.
- That too much academics will take you nowhere. ‘Itna padha likha husband kya aasman se tapkega?’
- That cooking is ultimately where all your skills converge. ‘Pati ke dil ka raasta, uske pet se jaata hain!’
- That you have to adore children no matter how uncouth and naughty they be. ‘Bacche toh bhagwaan ka roop hote hain!’
- That retorting is a sin. ‘Zabaan sambhal ke’
- That reading shall now confine to magazines about Re-decorating houses, Homemaking, Better parenting and Health/Fitness. ‘Apne parivaar ka khayal tum nahi rakhogi toh kya tumhara padosi rakhega?’
- That you have to learn to obey. ‘Pati jo bhi kahey, sab sahi’
The list is exhaustive but the aunty went on and on about similar things in the half an hour bracket.
In a nutshell, I present you, THE TORTURE unmarried women (like me) endure at family affairs in the hands of bulbuous aunties.